posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:41 AM by Thiyagaraaj M
updated Dec 16, 2009, 9:39 AM
Email and chat
- Chat with friends and colleagues through Empathy which integrates Yahoo, Gmail, MSN, Jabber, AOL, QQ and many more.
- Evolution gives you email, an address book and a calendar and works well with colleagues and friends using MS Outlook.
Browse the Internet
- Ubuntu includes Mozilla Firefox 3.5 for faster and safer browsing.
- For a choice of other open-source web browsers visit the Ubuntu Software Center and take your pick.
Music and videos
- Upload from your camera or phone to F-Spot.
- Manage, tag, share and sort your photos.
- Upload easily to your favourite social network or photo-sharing sites including Flickr, Facebook, Picassa and many others.
- Plug in your PSP, iPod, MP3 player and use Rhythmbox to download, store, buy and play music.
- Share playlists with your friends.
- Access Last.fm directly through Rhythmbox to stream your favourite music.
- Stream and play video from YouTube, BBC and others.
- Create professional documents, spreadsheets and presentations with OpenOffice.org 3.0.
- OpenOffice.org is compatible with all office applications including Microsoft Office.
- The big difference is that OpenOffice.org is free (and promises never to introduce Mr Clippy).
- Over 400 completely free and completely cool games. Solitaire is not the only game in town.
- Visit the Ubuntu Software Center to easily browse, select and install games.
Store, sync and share
- Integrated "Ubuntu One" technology gives you 2 GB of online storage for free.
- Easily share files between your own and your friends' computers.
- Upgrade at low cost for more storage if you need it.
- Instant access to thousands of free and open-source applications.
- Categories include Education, Games, Sound and Video, Graphics, Programming and Office.
- Simply select the applications you want to use and the Ubuntu Software Center will add them to your computer.
- No CDs, no licenses, no hassle.
the core of the Ubuntu philosophy is the belief that computing is for
everyone, whatever your circumstances. Ubuntu is one of the most
accessible operating systems around and is fully translated into 23
languages with many more to follow.